Originally built as a watchtower and lighthouse in the 9th century, the current version was completed in 1514. It served not only as a bell tower but also a landmark for ships entering the lagoon. In 1902, it collapsed completely—but was faithfully rebuilt "as it was, where it was" by 1912.
Fun fact: Galileo once used the tower for his astronomical observations in 1609.